Friday 20 May 2011

I vs ME

Throughout years of teaching, the most common mistakes done by most students are wrong usage of pronouns I and Me. The rules for these two pronouns is very simple ; I refers to Subject, whereas Me is the Object. Hence, in constructing sentences which involve these two pronouns, the said rules must be applied.

Look at how I and Me is used in these sentences ;

My brother and I used to go to school by foot when we were young. ( I as Subject )
My brother used to teach me how to ride bicycle when I was young. (Me as Object )
He told Mariam and me to wait for him at the library. (Me as Object)

The usage of I and Me also confusing in comparison types of sentence. Remember ; In comparison sentence, I (Subject ) is used not Me. Look at these examples ;

He is older than I .
You are as tall as I.
Who did it? Not I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...